Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Yours Truly

I just realized that I haven't been driving in almost five months now, which has been kind of fun, but also makes me want to get behind the wheel again if not for the only reason because while out here, the "coning" trend has been born and I want to try it. On a related note to my parents - YouTube "Coning". My dad will love it.

Well, the fridge is empty, which makes me realize that if I lived by myself, I would starve. Or survive off of apple yogurt, Fruit Loops, and water. Speaking of water, only in rainy season in Thailand could it rain so hard that on my ten minute walk from school to the apartment, could I come home almost completely drenched while holding an umbrella the entire time. 

Oh, I got my cast off on Sunday which means I'm typing this with no cast, or with any real power in my left wrist since it's been 6 weeks since I've moved it at all, so it's a baby bit stiff. Still, I'm happy to now be in a removable cast, which is actually really ghetto and will probably stink worse than the last cast that I couldn't remove. I was on Koh Samet this weekend, then showed up to the hospital an hour and a half late for my appointment still carrying all of our luggage from the weekend. But really, I think they couldn't be angry since I had body-painted my hotel room number (E-13) on my cast. What? It was a new place for me, you can't expect me to remember where I'm staying.

In case you were wondering, I ate 20 pieces of sushi, some tempura and an ice cream on Monday at the mall for all-you-can eat sushi. $10 Canadian, not a bad deal. Which reminds me, and I'm not joking at all, the one thing I actually miss from back home is a couch to lay down on. You are probably wondering why I'm complaining, since you might be asking why I don't just lay down on my comfortable bed. Which means that you have never been to the Piya-pat apartments. 

Teaching is going well, and you'd be surprised how hard it is to explain the difference between "there", "they're", and "their" to Grade 3 Thai kids. I think they're making improvements as a whole, but there are days that make me want to punch myself in the face, and today was definitely one of them. I'm not going on a particular rant, since well... I'm lazy. But also, as I told my kids today, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Which was promptly followed by Gavin telling Ice 2 that "[he] hates him" and me sending him out in the hall. Ugh. What almost makes this more amusing (amusing = more self-facepunch-worthy) is that while going in the hall to talk with him after resulted in him coming to the conclusion that he would rather not come back into the classroom and instead sit in the hot, humid, un-airconditioned hallway instead, and me practically having to beg him to come back into class. Uggggh. Oh yeah, this is my smartest student by the way. Oh well, everyone has bad days. 

I feel like that was an unfair thing for me to do in sharing that story, so in an amusing Gavin story news, while playing Hangman at the end of class on Monday, he suggested the word "xenotransplantation" and proceeded to write it down for me and give me the definition, as I basically gave him a "whatthefuck"expression. So did the rest of the class when they eventually got the word by guessing every letter in the alphabet. Oh yeah, he just turned 8. 

The West Memphis Three are now free, and while everyone has their opinions about it, I think it was the logical one. 

Finally, I saw the new Jets jersey reveal today, and I really enjoy the jersey. Sometimes less is more, and I think while the old Jets logo is one of the coolest hockey designs ever, it is just that - old. It doesn't reflect anything that the team was, and change is not always a bad thing. It's really classy, the colours remain in tact, there is some heritage and prestige to it so it's not a makeshift logo, plus I really like most of the current Jets roster.

That being said, I still can't wait for the Flyers to dummy the Jets and take the Stanley Cup.




1 comment:

  1. Ice Cream abuse is dummy...but funny.Once.

    Driving is more fun, too bad, so sad, take a taxi to McD's and cone it!!!

    ReplyDelete